Confederate Railroad Construction Plans

Ala   Ark   Fla   Geo   La   Miss   NC   SC   Tenn   Tex   Va

   Confederate leaders saw the value of expanding the Southern railroad network in numerous places. Most of these construction projects had been discussed as commercial ventures before the war and some of their backers saw this as an opportunity to push construction of their projects with Confederate Government support and money. Many roads not listed were chartered during the war, but they did not sell enough stock to officially organize and did no construction work. (Roads continuing work on their original road's plan are not listed.)

Connection

Status

Alabama
Selma, Al. to Meridian, Miss.

(the Alabama & Mississippi Rivers Railroad)

This 104-mile road had been started before the war as a connection in the Montgomery to Vicksburg route. With the Memphis & Charleston RR very vulnerable to being broken at Memphis or on the Tennessee River, it was critical for the South to create a second rail route across the lower Confederacy. This line was part of the solution, but lacked two sections -- 5 miles on the Tombigbee River and the 45 miles from Selma to Montgomery, filled in by the steamboats on the Alabama River. Except for the Tombigbee bridge, the road was completed in December 1862 from Selma to Vicksburg.
Blue Mountain, Al. to Rome, Ga.
This was a 61-mile extension of the Alabama & Tennessee River Railroad to make a connection in the rear of the Army of Tennessee so that it could be supplied without relying solely on the Western & Atlantic RR. The route was easy and grading almost completed. The Georgia portion of the road was chartered in Georgia as the Georgia & Alabama RR; C. M. Pennington was Chief Engineer in 1861 and George Wadsworth was in 1862. The 22-mile Alabama side of the road was called the Alabama & Georgia RR and had Charles H. Smith as its Secretary. This road was planned well before the war and the Georgia Legislature had given Rome permission to subscribe $100,000 to the road at that time.
NP, RC 5-4-61
NA, QMR 11-28-61
OR Series 1, Vol. 17, Part 2, Page 756
NA, ENG 9-16-62
AOC, 10-2-62
NP, SMR 10-22-62
NA, ENG 11-11-62
NA, ENG 11-12-62
NP, RSTD 11-12D-62
OR Series 4, Vol. 2, Page 139
OR Series 4, Vol. 2, Page 144
NA, ENG 11-19-62
NA, ENG 12-2-62
NA, ENG 12-2B-62
NA, ENG 12-9B-62
NA, A&TR 1-1-63
NA, ENGR 1-5-63
NA, ENGR 1-5A-63
NP, ASCY 1-8-63
NA, ENG 1-30-63
NP, ASCY 2-3-63
SOR, Series 95, Page 123
NP, ASCY 2-10-63
NP, MT 2-19-63
NA, ENGR 2-20-63
NP, YE 2-25-63
NP, ASCY 3-7-63
NA, ENG 3-10C-63
NP, ASCY 3-11-63
NA, ENGR 3-12-63
NA, ENG 4-11-63
NA, ENGR 4-19-63
NA, ENGR 4-28-63
NA, ENGR 5-4A-63
NA, ENGR 5-5-63
NA, ENGR 5-7-63
NA, ENG 5-23B-63
NA, ENGR 5-27-63
NA, A&TR 6-2-63
NA, ENGR 6-8-63
NA, ENG 6-16A-63
NA, ENG 6-16B-63
NA, ENG 6-19B-63
NA, ENGR 6-19-63
NA, RR 6-30-63
NA, ENGR 9-3A-63
NA, ENG 9-4B-63
NA, ENG 9-5-63
OR Series 1, Vol. 28, Part 2, Page 410
NA, ENG 10-16A-63
NA, ENGR 10-19-63
NP, AI 10-29-63
OR Series 1, Vol. 31, Part 3, Page 787
NA, ENGR 3-5-64
OR Series 1, Vol. 52, Part 2, Page 641
OR Series 1, Vol. 52, Part 2, Page 647
NA, ENGR 4-4A-64
NA, ENG 4-14A-64
NA, ENG 4-28A-64
NA, ENG 5-17-64
NA, ENG 5-18B-64
NA, ENG 5-19-64
NA, ENG 6-15-64
NA, DAMELA 6-16-64
NA, ENG 6-24J-64
NA, ENG 7-22F-64
NA, ENGR 7-28-64
OR Series 1, Vol. 39, Part 1, Page 796
Montgomery, Al. to Union Springs, Al.
This 39-mile road would have been of great value by allowing shipments to remain on the same gauge cars from Mobile to North Carolina, circumventing the smaller gauge Montgomery & West Point Railroad. Grading was almost complete in September, 1864 and the request was made to use iron being removed from other Georgia RRs to finish the work.
NA, ENG 7-26-64
NA, ENG 7-26C-64
NA, ENG 8-6B-64
NA, ENG 8-13A-64
OR Series 1, Vol. 39, Part 2, Page 872
NA, DAMELA 9-30-64
NA, QMR 10-5-64
NA, CS 10-15-64
NA, DAMELA 10-15-64
NA, QMR 10-15A-64
NA, QM 10-21-64
NA, CS 10-29-64
NA, ENGR 11-4-64
NA, ENGR 11-4B-64
NA, ENGR 11-5-64
NA, ENGR 11-19-64
NP, SM 11-20-64
NA, RR 2-11-65
OR Series 4, Vol. 3, Page 1095
NA, RR 2-28A-65
Blue Mountain, Al. to Jacksonville, Al.
This briefly considered road would have been about 20 miles long. Its purpose was to reduce the length of the wagon haulage from the railhead to the Army of Tennessee, at Gadsden, Al. The saving of 5 miles of wagon effort was out of all proportion to the effort required to haul the iron to the work site. No work was done and the Army soon moved out of Gadsden.
OR Series 4, Vol. 3, Page 742
Montgomery, Ala. to Selma, Ala.

(the Western Rail Road)

This 77 mile road would have completed an all-rail route from Vicksburg to Charleston and was of vital importance. The road was chartered in 1860 and was surveyed the same year. According to the 1862 annual report of the Montgomery & West Point RR, the entire road was placed under contract by January 1, 1862, with grading to be finished by the end of the year and arrangements were being made to secure the same type aid offered by the Government to the construction between Selma and Meridian. In July 1862, the Secretary of War was writing about the source of iron for the road. A November 1862 ad calls for 100 hands to work on the western 15 miles of the road. The route of the road was very difficult because the land on the shortest route was very low and swampy. It is very unlikely that any iron was laid on this road during the war. The leader of the effort to build this road was C. T. Pollard, who was probably President.
Western (of Alabama) Railroad Map
NA, G 12-17-61
NP, NOTP 1-12-62
NA, M&WP 1-23-62
NA, SWT 7-15-62
NP, SMR 11-26-62
NA, RR 2-11-65
OR Series 4, Vol. 3, Page 1095
NA, RR 2-28A-65
Meridian, Miss. to Chattanooga, Tn.

(the Northeast & Southwest Alabama Railroad)

This 207-mile road had just begun construction when the war began -- only 27 1/2 miles had been laid. In early 1863, the road requested a loan in order to complete the road. It would have provided another route into Chattanooga to support the Army of Tennessee and would have tapped the very rich iron and coal belts of central Alabama. The great amount of work remaining and the lack of iron prevented the Government's giving the loan to complete the road, though the Engineer Bureau did recommend the completion of the southern 123 miles of the uncompleted portion.
NA, ENG 4-4-63
Calera, Ala. to Oxmoor, Ala.

(the South & North Alabama Railroad)

The road was a wartime expedient to connect Red Mountain to Selma, Alabama. The route used the one already surveyed for the unbuilt Alabama Central Railroad. It started at iron furnaces near Shades Mountain and connected to the Alabama & Tennessee River Railroad at Calera. It was extended from Shades Mountain to Oxmoor in late 1863, a total of 25 miles.
NA, A&F 4-3-63
B8, ALA 4-16-64
NA, QM 10-1-64

Shelby Iron Works to the Alabama & Tennessee River Railroad

(Shelby Iron Company Railroad)

This 5-mile road was a wartime expedient to connect the Shelby Iron Company to the Alabama & Tennessee River RR. The local Confederate Ordinance official prevented the construction for over two years by threatening to have senior Company employees conscripted if they diverted iron to make rails for the road. Construction began in 1863 and was completed in January, 1865.
B8, ALA 4-16-64

Strother Iron Works, Ala.

A 1 1/2 mile road from the Alabama & Tennessee River RR, at Ashby, Ala., was graded to the Iron Works. No iron was laid during the war. Additional grading extended 2 1/2 miles toward the coal fields between the Cahaba and Little Cahaba Rivers.
NP, TAR 2-25-64
Selma & Gulf RR
This 59 mile road was chartered in 1858, with permission to build due south from Selma to a connection with the Mobile & Great Northern RR, the Mobile & Girard RR or the Alabama & Florida (of Alabama) RR. Grading from Selma to about Pine Apple (40 miles south) was practically completed when the war started. It is unlikely any additional work was done, beyond finishing the grading of that leg. It was reported in 1860 that 43 miles of iron had been ordered, but it was not received. William T. Milner was President and Willis S. Burr was Secretary and Treasurer. 
NP, SMR 4-19-61
NP, SMR 2-16-62
NA, S&G 8-29-63
Tennessee & Cossa RR This 37 mile road was to connect the Alabama & Tennessee River RR at Gadsden to Gunter's Landing and the Winchester & Alabama RR. In the spring of 1860, 27 miles had been graded and 350 hands were at work on the road.
Opelika & Talladega RR An 90-mile road that was chartered in 1859 and was graded to Waverley in 1861. The President was John R. Slaughter, Chief Engineer was A. H. Barnett, and Secretary & Treasurer was W. G. Williams. See 3/30/61 article for Directors. The Georgia Legislature gave Columbus, Ga. permission to subscribe to the road. The road was sometimes called the Savannah & Memphis RR.
Gainesville to Selma This 75-mile road was desired by the Government, but could not be constructed because of the lack of iron. A plank road was seen as a substitute, but I have found no information that it was constructed.
Arkansas

  Memphis & Fort Smith RR

This 125-mile long road was authorized and organized just before the war started. It appears grading was done, but no iron was laid. S. Martin was the Secretary in 1861.
NP, ARG 4-27-61
Mississippi, Ouachita & Red River RR
A 145-mile road that was organized in 1854. The road was intended to run from present Arkansas City, on the Mississippi River, to the Red River, at Lewisville, by way of Monticello and Camden. It would open up 1.5 million prime cotton acres and be part of the Charleston to San Francisco route. According to the Arkansas Encyclopedia of History & Culture, 7 miles headed south and west from the Mississippi River when the war started, but the road was not operational. The iron was sold to the Confederate Army and removed in late 1862. James Thomas Elliott was the President. Directors for 1862 are in the 12/11/61 article. It is hard to believe that 7 miles of track had been laid without at least one locomotive and 3 cars, though they may have been sold when construction stopped in 1857.
NP, MAP 12-11-61
NP, WT 1-15A-62
NP, WT 2-15-62
B20, MO&RR 4-3-62
NP, ARG 10-18-62
NA, MO&RR 11-27-62
NA, MO&RR 12-31-62
Florida

Lawton, Ga. to Live Oak, Fl.

This 49-mile connection between the Pensacola & Georgia Railroad and the Savannah, Albany & Gulf Railroad was opposed by many Florida railroad men before the war. It was feared that goods would travel by rail to Savannah or Charleston, rather than to Jacksonville; it would also destroy the rationale for the Florida Railroad. Construction, however, was begun in 1861 by the two companies. Confederate leaders wanted the road completed to enable them to send troops to defend Florida (without having to station them there) and to enable them to draw food (particularly beef) from Florida. Construction was essentially completed by May of 1863, but completion was slowed because of the lack of iron; enough was eventually obtained by removing it from the Florida Railroad, despite court injunctions. The road was completed in March of 1865.
AR, SA&G 5-1-61 P
OR Series 4, Vol. 1, Page 612
OR Series 4, Vol. 1, Page 777
FA, P&G 12-14-61
FHS, FL 12-31-61
FHS, FL 12-xx-61
AR, A&G 2-1-62 E
NP, MAR 2-15-62
NP, MT 8-1-62
UF, F 3-10-62
UF, P&G 3-13-62
NA, QMR 3-18-62
UF, F 3-19-62
OR Series 1, Vol. 53, Page 224
NA, QMR 3-31A-62
NA, QM 4-3-62
NA, QMR 4-27-62
AR, SA&G 5-1-62 P
AR, SA&G 5-1-62 E
FHS, FL 11-10-62
OR Series 1, Vol. 53, Page 274
NA, ENG 2-6-63
FHS, FL 3-30-63
AR, P&G 4-1-63 P
FHS, FL 5-21A-63
FHS, FL 5-23-63
NA, ENGR 5-24-63
NA, ENG 5-27C-63
FHS, FL 5-30-63
NA, SWR 6-8-63
NA, ENG 8-10B-63
NA, ENG 8-15-63
FHS, FL 9-16-63
OR Series 1, Vol. 28, Part 2, Page 459
NA, ENGR 10-30A-63
NA, ENG 11-2B-63
NA, ENG 11-20A-63
NA, ENG 11-21-63
NA, ENG 12-3-63
OR Series 1, Vol. 31, Part 3, Page 787
NA, SC 12-30A-63
NA, SC 12-30B-63
NA, ENGR 2-15-64
OR Series 1, Vol. 35, Part 1, Page 631
OR Series 1, Vol. 35, Part 1, Page 632
NA, ENG 2-22C-64
NA, ENG 2-26-64
NA, ENGR 2-19-64
NA, ENG 3-4A-64
OR Series 1, Vol. 35, Part 2, Page 333
NA, ENG 3-10-64
OR Series 1, Vol. 35, Part 1, Page 321
UF, A&G 4-6-64
OR Series 1, Vol. 35, Part 2, Page 431
NA, DSCGF 4-28-64
NA, DF 4-30-64
NA, DF 5-3-64
NA, L&LO 5-3-64
NA, ENG 6-10A-64
NA, ENG 6-10B-64
NA, DSCGF 6-11-64
NA, ENG 6-16-64
NA, ENG 6-21A-64
NA, ENG 7-1B-64
NA, DSCGF 7-5-64
NA, ENG 7-7A-64
NA, L& LO 7-16-64
OR Series 1, Vol. 35, Part 2, Page 594
OR Series 4, Vol. 3, Page 560
OR Series 1, Vol. 35, Part 2, Page 606
NA, RRB 10-18A-64
NA, DF 10-21-64
NA, RR 11-30-64
OR Series 1, Vol. 47, Part 2, Page 983
OR Series 1, Vol. 47, Part 2, Page 1005
OR Series 1, Vol. 47, Part 2, Page 1021
NA, QMR 1-24A-65
OR Series 1, Vol. 49, Part 1, Page 1029
NA, DF 3-7-65
UF, F 11-4-65
AR, A&G 1-1-66 P
Tallahassee, Fl. to Chattahoochee (Apalachicola) River
This 22-mile road would have run from the end of the Pensacola & Georgia Railroad, at Quincy, Fl., to Appalaga, Fl., on the Chattahoochee River. The road's purpose was to connect Florida and southern Georgia to the rest of the lower South by using river steamboats to Columbus, Ga. The road was graded, the ties furnished, and trestling built in 1862.
FHS, FL 12-31-61
FHS, FL 12-xx-61
OR Series 1, Vol. 53, Page 206
FA, P&G 12-15-62
FHS, FL 3-30-63
FHS, FL 5-21-63
FHS, FL 5-21A-63
NA, SWR 5-21-63
NA, SWR 5-21A-63
NA, SWR 6-8-63
NA, ENG 6-9A-63
NA, ENG 12-3-63
OR Series 1, Vol. 31, Part 3, Page 787
OR Series 1, Vol. 47, Part 2, Page 983
OR Series 1, Vol. 47, Part 2, Page 1005
OR Series 1, Vol. 47, Part 2, Page 1021
OR Series 4, Vol. 3, Page 1053
NA, DF 2-17-65
NA, DF 3-21-65
Waldo to Ocala, Fla.
This 33-mile branch of the Florida RR was designed to enable the collection of Florida beef from central Florida. Its pre-war intention had been to be a link in a branch from Waldo to Tampa Bay. Grading had been done to Ocala before the war, but it is unlikely that any work was completed during the war because of lack of manpower and money.
NA, ENG 12-3-63
Georgia
Albany, Ga. to Thomasville, Ga.
This was a 55-mile route, proposed in early 1865, to connect southern Georgia and Florida to the rest of the lower South. It would have allowed the Savannah, Albany & Gulf Railroad to save its rolling stock and put it to use for the Confederacy. It is not known whether surveys had been done, but no work was started. Its main proponent was Col. Screven, President of the Atlantic & Gulf RR. The route was used by wagons and troops to get around the route of Sherman's march.
NA, RR 12-12-64
OR Series 1, Vol. 47, Part 2, Page 1021
OR Series 4, Vol. 3, Page 1053
NA, RRB 2-3-65
NA, RR 2-11-65
OR Series 4, Vol. 3, Page 1095
Thomasville, Ga. to Bainbridge, Ga.
This plan would have constructed a 37-mile road from the end of the Savannah, Albany & Gulf Railroad to the Chattahoochee River. This had been the intended last leg of the Atlantic & Gulf RR. Despite a lack of money, grading continued through at least 1864, with 30 miles total graded from Thomasville to the west. It was one more last-minute effort to connect southern Georgia and Florida to the rest of the lower South.
AR, A&G 2-1-61 E
NP, SMN 9-30-61
NP, SRDR 10-22B-61
AR, A&G 2-1-63 E
AR, A&G 1-1-64 P
UG, SA&G 1-22-64
OR Series 1, Vol. 53, Page 386
OR Series 1, Vol. 47, Part 2, Page 1005
Warrenton, Ga. to Macon, Ga.

(the Milledgeville Railroad)

This road of about 75 miles, designed to connect the Georgia RR and Macon by way of the capital, Milledgeville, was well under construction early in the war. Seven miles of track had been laid from Warrenton toward Sparta when, in April 1862,  the Confederate Government seized all but the rail laid and three additional miles of track (enough to reach the Ogeechee River). Grading, bed and masonry had mostly been completed to Milledgeville in late 1862 and work was still in progress to finish all but building the bridges and laying the track, with the plan to have everything in readiness to quickly lay the rail as soon as peace came and the rail could be imported. The road had one construction train, which may have been rented from the Georgia RR, with which it connected at Warrenton.
Savannah, Ga. to Tybee Island, Ga.
This 17-mile branch was designed to provide a way to get goods from the island at the mouth of the Savannah River to Savannah without having to remove the obstructions the military had placed in the river. There is no indication any work was done on the road and it became meaningless once the Union captured Tybee Island and then Fort Pulaski. There is, however, an 1863 court case that indicates the road was at least partially finished.
AR, SA&G 12-11-61
NP, MT 12-20-61
AR, SA&G 5-1-62 ACT
NP, AI 11-20-63
Georgia Air-Line
This road was to connect Atlanta with northern South Carolina as a link in a shorter line to the North. There is no evidence any work was done during the war. Joseph Winship was President.
NP, ASCY 4-16-61
Georgia & Alabama RR See Blue Mountain, Al. to Rome, Ga., in the Alabama section above.
Savannah, Griffin & North Alabama RR The 175-mile road was organized in late 1859. An entry in Hill & Swayze's Guide, 1863, says that the principal grading from Griffin to the Chattahoochee river in Coweta county (about 45 miles) had been completed and the company had no debt. Building had been suspended because of the war. The route was from Griffin to Newnan, Ga. (crossing the Atlanta & West Point RR) and then to Decatur, Ala. The principal office was in Griffin. President: M. G. Dobbins; Secretary and Treasurer: W. J. Jossey.
Georgia Western RR A call was made on October 4, 1860 for bids for grading and masonry on fifty miles, commencing at Atlanta and extending into Haralson County. L. P. Grant (future Confederate Engineer officer) was the Chief Engineer.
Polk Slate Quarry RR This 12 mile road was to connect the Polk Slate Quarry (at Paulding) to the Western & Atlantic RR in Marietta. It was chartered in 1859 and contracts for grading were let in July, 1860. There was enough time to complete the road, but how much was done beyond grading is unknown. There are numerous documents relating to shipments of slate over the Western & Atlantic RR to Macon for the new Arsenal construction during the war, so the road may have been completed. It is unlikely to have had rolling stock of its own, probably being serviced by the Western & Atlantic RR.
Louisiana
New Orleans, La. to Orange, Tx. 
This New Orleans & Texas RR was a link in the long-planned rail line from Houston to New Orleans. For war purposes, it would have made it much easier to get Texas troops and beef to the main war theaters. Most interest was lost shortly after New Orleans was captured, but see the later documents. The road was to be 117 miles long and connect the Texas & New Orleans RR to the New Orleans, Opelousas & Great Western Railroad at New Iberia, La. The 50 miles of the New Orleans, Opelousas & Great Northern from the head of the line to New Iberia had been graded and was ready for iron in early 1862. A. M. Gentry was President and E. L. Heriot was Chief Engineer. L. H. Place was Secretary in 1862. In 1864, J. J. Hanna was Vice President. Board of Directors is in NP, NOTP 2-23A-62.
NP, GTN 3-19-61
NP, HT 3-21-61
NP, SG 5-18-61
NP, GCGW 9-3-61
NP, CCT 10-26-61
NP, BC 10-30-61
NP, MAP 11-23-61
NP, WJ 1-21-62
NP, NOTP 1-26-62
NP, NOTP 1-26A-62
NP, NOTP 1-28A-62
NP, NOTP 2-2-62
NP, NODC 2-3-62
NP, MAP 2-5-62
NP, NOTP 2-8-62
NP, DH 2-19-62
NP, GCE 2-19-62
NP, GTN 2-19-61
NP, NOTP 2-22-62
NP, NOTP 2-22A-62
NP, NOTP 2-23A-62
NP, NOTP 2-28-62
NP, WT 3-5-62
NP, NOTP 3-6-62
OR Series 4, Vol. 1, Page 1013
NP, OC 3-22-62
NP, NOTP 3-23-62
NP, NODC 3-28-62
NP, NODC 3-28A-62
NP, NOTP 3-29-62
NP, NOTP 3-30-62
NP, MAR 4-5-62
NP, MAR 4-5B-62
NP, MT 4-5-62
NP, GN 4-8-62
NP, NOTP 4-9-62
NP, ASCY 4-10-62
NP, ASCY 4-12A-62
NP, NOTP 4-15-62
OR Series 4, Vol. 1, Page 1073
NP, NOTP 4-23-62
NP, NOTP 4-23A-62
NP, DD 4-24-62
OR Series 4, Vol. 1, Page 1108
OR Series 4, Vol. 1, Page 1113
NP, SN 5-6-62
NA, DT 7-25-62
NA, ENG 11-1-62
NA, ENG 11-12A-62
NA, RRB 11-29A-62
NA, ENGR 1-25-63
NA, ENG 1-29-63
NA, ENGR 2-6-63
NA, ENG 2-17-63
NA, ENG 2-17A-63
NA, ENGR 4-7-63
NA, T&NO 4-27A-63
NA, DTM 5-23-63
NA, DTM 6-23-63
NP, HT 1-26-64
Baton Rouge to Texas

(Louisiana Central Stem of the Mississippi & Pacific RR)

This 232-mile road was to take traffic around the uncertain water levels of the Red River and to ensure that Texas produce went to New Orleans, rather than to Galveston by way of a projected Texas road. It would run from the west bank of the Mississippi across from Baton Rouge through Alexandria to Shreveport. The road would extend from the Baton Rouge, Grosse Tete &  Opelousas RR's Atchafalaya River crossing northwestward to Shreveport and a connection to the Vicksburg, Shreveport & Texas RR. The Red River RR would extend from Alexandria to the Central Stem RR. By December 1861, 22 miles had been graded from the Atchafalaya River almost to Bayou Boeuf, when the war stopped work. Iron for the first 80 miles had been contracted and some of it delivered by July, 1860.
NP, OC 1-11-62
NP, NU 2-20-62
NP, OC 3-22-62
Clinton to New Orleans, Jackson & Great Northern RR connection This 30-mile road was advocated by Port Hudson to tap into the Confederate railroad system after the loss of the Mississippi River. Though the iron was identified, no work was done.
 
Mississippi
Canton, Miss. to Aberdeen, Miss.

(the New Orleans, Jackson & Great Northern Railroad)

This was a 120-mile feeder line through a major cotton producing area. The route would cross the Mobile & Ohio RR at either Prairie or Egypt stations and continue northeast for another 9 miles. The first 26 miles from Canton to Kosciusko was completely graded and the remaining 14 miles to Kosciusko had been partly graded during 1861. By early 1862, the 9 miles from Aberdeen to the Mobile & Ohio RR was complete enough to begin laying iron as soon as the resident Engineer could get the Mobile & Ohio RR to forward the iron from Mobile. The switch and siding had been put in by the Mobile & Ohio RR. It is not know whether that iron was ever laid, but the rest of the line was not completed until after the war.  
North Carolina
Greenville, N. C. to Danville, Va.

(the Piedmont Railroad)

This 50-mile connection had been desired before the war, but rejected by the North Carolina Legislature because it would take traffic off the North Carolina RR. Only the war requirement to provide a second route from the lower South to Richmond overcame the opposition. The road was wholly owned by the Richmond & Danville RR and built by them, with Confederate Government power providing the required labor and iron. The road was well laid out, but poorly built because of the scarcity of labor and materials. The road was completed in 1864 and was vital to keeping Richmond supplied after Grant broke the Petersburg RR.
St. Catherine's & Charlotte RR
This road was chartered in March of 1861. I have no definite information on this road, but the St. Catherine gold mine was located about where the Charlotte NFL stadium is today. The mine had been in operation since 1830 and a line to it from the Charlotte depot would have been about 4 miles long. The act chartering the road says it was to run from St. Catherine's Mills to the depot of the North Carolina RR and the Charlotte & South Carolina RR. The route was to go by way of the Captain Wilkes' Steam Flouring Mills, in Charlotte. 
NP, RSTD 3-6-61
Dallas & York River RR / Dallas & King's Mountain RR
This 25-mile road would have extended the King's Mountain RR due north to Dallas, N. C. Samuel Jarrett was the Treasurer.
NP, RSTD 3-6-61
NP, YE 3-7-61
NP, YE 3-14-61
NP, YE 3-21-61
NP, YE 4-4-61
B9, DEB 4-xB-61
NP, YE 6-5-61
NP, CM 6-8-61
NP, CM 6-8A-61
Danville, Va. to Company Shops, N. C. (the Milton & Yanceyville RR)
This road was proposed in 1859 as a way to connect the Richmond & Danville RR and the North Carolina RR, while cutting into the North Carolina RR's freight revenue as little as possible. The road would have been about 60 miles long. 
NP, RSTD 2-13-61
NP, RD 2-14-61
NP, CW 3-5-61
NP, RSTD 3-6-61
NP, RD 3-6-61
NP, GP 3-14A-61
NP, RD 4-8A-61
NP, RSTD 11-27-61
NP, RSTD 12-11A-61
Fayetteville & Warsaw RR
This 55-mile line was intended to connect Fayetteville to the Wilmington & Weldon RR at the Warsaw Depot. There is one hint that it might have been constructed, but I doubt it because of the scarcity of railroad iron. It was intended to be equipped and run by the Wilmington & Weldon RR.
NP, CW 3-5-61
NP, RSTD 3-6-61
B9, DEB 4-xB-61
Fayetteville RR (Florence, S. C. to Fayetteville)
This 90-mile road was chartered and the books opened for subscriptions, but there is no indication of any work being done on it.
NP, FO 1-10-61
NP, CM 1-1G-62
NP, RSTD 6-4-62
NP, FO 6-7-62
Greenville & Goldsboro RR
This road would have been a 35-mile line to connect the North Carolina Sounds to the Wilmington & Weldon RR. Washington, N. C. had also been fighting to be the eastern end of the road. There is no evidence any work was started.
NP, CW 3-5-61
Raleigh, N. C. to Columbia, S. C.

(the Chatham Railroad)

This 29-mile road was chartered three times between 1855 and 1862 to run from Raleigh to the coal fields by way of boats at Locksville, in Haywood, N. C. Company literature made it clear that this was just the first step in a road connecting the two state capitals and in becoming part of a great road from New York to Mobile. Grading began in 1863 from both ends and continued until the approach of Sherman's army. Kemp Plummer Battle was the President throughout the war, Ellwood Morris was the Chief Engineer into 1863, then Henry A. Brown took over;  James E. Allen was Superintendent in late 1863; William Worrell Vass was Treasurer throughout the war; Directors are listed in the 4/24/62, 4/22/63, 3/4/64 and 3/4A/65 newspaper articles. The road evidently owned some freight cars and had enough strap iron to lay the entire distance.
NP, FO 1-17-61
NP, CW 3-5-61
NP, RSTD 3-6-61
NP, FO 3-18-61
NP, RSTD 3-27-61
NP, RSTD 3-27A-61
NP, RSTD 4-3-61
NP, RSTD 4-3A-61
B9, DEB 4-xB-61
NP, RSTD 6-12-61
NP, RSTD 8-14A-61
NP, RSTD 8-28-61
NP, RSTD 10-30-61
NP, RSTD 10-30A-61
NP, RR 12-4-61
NP, RSTD 12-4-61
NP, RR 1-25-62
NP, FO 1-27-62
NP, RR 1-29-62
NP, RSJ 1-29-62
NP, RSTD 1-29-62
NP, CW 2-3-62
NP, WJ 2-3-62
NP, RSTD 2-5-62
NP, RSTD 2-5A-62
NP, RSTD 2-12B-62
NP, RR 2-15-62
NP, RSTD 2-19-62
NP, RSTD 2-19C-62
NP, RSJ 2-22-62
NP, RSJ 2-26-62
NP, RSTD 2-26-62
NP, RR 3-1-62
NP, RR 3-8-62
NP, RSTD 3-12-62
NP, RSTD 3-12A-62
NP, RSJ 3-29-62
NP, RR 4-5-62
NP, RR 4-5A-62
NP, RSJ 4-9-62
NP, GP 4-10-62
NP, RR 4-19C-62
NP, RSJ 4-23-62
NP, WJ 4-24-62
NP, RSTD 9-3-62
NP, RR 10-8-62
NP, RSTD 10-8-62
NP, GP 10-16B-62
NP, RR 11-8-62
NP, RSTD 11-12F-62
NP, RSTD 12-17E-62
NP, RSTD 12-31-62
NP, RSTD 1-2-63
NP, FO 1-8-63
NP, GP 1-8-63
NCA, C 1-21-63
NP, RSTD 1-23-63
NP, RR 2-14-63
NP, RR 3-1-63
NP, RSJ 3-11-63
NP, TS 3-14-63
NP, RSTD 3-17-63
NA, RR 3-24-63
NP, RSTD 4-3-63
NP, RR 4-22-63
NP, RSJ 7-30-63
NP, RSTD 11-13-63
RRBA 11-15-1863
NP, RS 11-24A-63
NP, GP 12-3B-63
NP, RCF 3-4-64
NP, RCS 4-27-64
NA, ENGR 6-7-64
NA, ENG 6-14A-64
NA, ENGR 7-2-64
NA, ENG 7-20B-64
UNCC, RR 8-27-64
NA, ENGR 9-3-64
NA, ENGR 10-5-64
NP, RCF 10-7-64
NA, ENGR 10-11A-64
NA, ENGR 11-12-64
NP, RCF 12-17-64
NP, AC 12-18-64
NP, CO 1-16C-65
NP, RCF 2-24-65
NP, FO 3-2A-65
NP, RCF 3-4-65
NP, RCF 3-4A-65
MISC, C xx-xx-18xx
University RR
This road was chartered in March of 1861. It was a local road of about 10 miles from near the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, N. C. to the North Carolina RR. The charter allowed it to be either steam or horse propelled.
NP, RSTD 3-6-61
Western RR to North Carolina RR
The 1860 North Carolina Legislature offered construction assistance to the Western RR if it decided to extend to meet the North Carolina RR. The Western agreed to the terms and ordered surveys started. Whether any further work was done is not known. Depending on the route taken, this extension would have been from about 30 to about 45 miles long.
NP, CW 3-5-61
NP, WJ 3-26-61
NP, CW 10-31-64
Wilmington, N. C.
The Wilmington & Weldon RR and the Wilmington & Manchester RR had considered a bridge over the Cape Fear River before the war. Since the two roads ran the ferry across the river, they were not in a great hurry to construct the bridge. A proposal was surfaced in mid-1864 to build the bridge. Construction was delayed until shortly after the war. A major problem with this "connection" was the different gauges of the two Roads.
NA, ENG 7-4-64
NA, ENG 8-8-64
OR Series 1, Vol. 42, Part 2, Page 1257
Williamston & Tarboro RR
This road was to head 30 miles east from Tarboro to Williamston and later, probably, to Plymouth, on the Albemarle Sound. It was chartered in February, 1861.
NP, CW 3-5-61
Danville, Va. to Coalfields
This road was proposed in the Virginia Legislature in January of 1861. The Danville to Company Shops proposed road would probably have used the same route.
NP, FO 1-17A-61
South Carolina
Cheraw, S. C. to Egypt, N. C.

(the Cheraw & Coalfields Railroad)

This 55-mile road was intended to supply coal to Charleston by connecting with the Cheraw & Darlington Railroad. It was chartered in 1857. Construction (grading, at least) began in 1862 and was still in progress in 1864. At least 10 miles were graded, but no iron was laid. Allan Macfarlan was President, W. R. Godfrey was Secretary; Directors are listed in the May, 1864 article. George W. Earle was Chief Engineer in late 1864, and may have been such since 1861, when he was ordered to conscription camp.
NP, RSTD 8-14-61
AR, C&D 9-1-61P
NP, RSTD 5-14-62
NP, RSTD 6-4A-62
NA, QMR 9-11-62
NA, QMR 9-20A-62
NP, WJ 12-22B-62
NP, DB 6-12-63
SCA, C&C 11-30-63
NP, CM 4-16A-64
NP, CM 5-28-64
NA, ENGR 10-23-64
MISC, C xx-xx-18xx
Columbia, S. C. to Augusta, Ga.

(the Columbia & Hamburg Railroad)

This road would have required 69 miles of iron and would have finished the other 10 miles on South Carolina Railroad track from Graniteville to Augusta (Hamburg was on the South Carolina side of the Savannah River and had been the first terminus of the original South Carolina RR). This road was probably the most important road not constructed by the Confederacy, since it gave an inland route between the Georgia Railroad and the Central (of Georgia) Railroad on the west and the Charlotte & South Carolina Railroad on the east. This would have relieved the stress on the roads near the coast and, most importantly, would have provided a line of transportation if the coastal roads were captured or destroyed in North or South Carolina. A considerable amount of grading was done in 1864 (25 miles were reported complete), but no track was laid until 1867. William Johnston was the President, James G. Gibbs the Chief Engineer and Henry Moore was Secretary & Treasurer.
Columbia_Railroads
AR, C&SC 1-1-63 P
NP, WD 3-24A-63
NP, DB 6-6-63
NP, WD 7-7-63
NP, AC 7-12-63
NP, AC 7-16-63
NP, AC 7-17-63
NP, AC 7-17A-63
NP, AC 7-17B-63
NP, AC 7-18A-63
NP, AC 7-19-63
NP, SC 7-22-63
NP, SC 7-22A-63
NP, SC 7-24-63
NP, DB 8-10-63
NP, WJ 8-13-63
NA, ENGR 9-3-63
NP, DB 9-5-63
NP, CC 11-2A-63
NP, SC 12-5-63
NP, DB 12-23A-63
NA, ENGR 1-16-64
NA, SWR 1-18-64
NA, ENGR 1-22-64
NA, ENG 3-14B-64
NA, ENG 3-24-64
NA, ENG 4-29B-64
NP, SC 5-1-64
NP, SC 5-1A-64
NP, SC 5-11-64
NP, AC 5-14-64
NA, ENGR 6-1-64
NP, SC 7-9-64
NP, SC 7-9A-64
NP, AC 7-16-64
NP, AC 8-13-64
NP, SC 8-23-64
NP, AC 9-3-64
NP, AC 9-29-64
NP, MT 10-1-64
NP, AC 12-7-64
NP, AC 12-21-64
NP, AC 12-24-64
NP, AC 12-24A-64
OR Series 4, Vol. 3, Page 968
NA, QMR 12-31-64
NP, RD 1-5-65
NP, HT 1-13-65
NP, RCF 1-17-65
NP, AC 1-19-65
NP, YE 2-1-65
NA, RR 2-11-65
OR Series 4, Vol. 3, Page 1095
Georgetown, S. C.
Thus far I know of this road only from correspondence with Tredegar Iron Works in 1861. It appears that it was to run from Georgetown to the Northeastern RR, a distance of about 36 miles. In May of 1861, William Green was the Chief Engineer and had a request to buy a locomotive from Tredegar. He had also given Tredegar reason to believe he would need spikes and chairs shortly, so money must have already been raised. There is no indication that any construction was started.
LVA, TRED 5-17-61
LVA, TRED 5-31-61
Port Royal, S. C.
This road was intended to connect the port of Port Royal to the Charleston & Savannah RR, then go on to Augusta, Ga. for a total of 105 miles. It was chartered in 1861 and construction efforts were being made in late 1863 -- toward a port held by the Union since 1861. Over 30 miles were graded by the end of 1863. The officers for 1863 and 1864 were President, R. J. Davant (from 1861); Chief Engineer, C. S. Gadsden; Secretary and Treasurer, A. C. McGillivray (from 1861); Superintendent of hands on Company grading, B. L. Willingham. Directors for 1862-3 are listed in the 9/4/62 document. The Directors for 1863-4 were: H. S. Haines and R. L. Singleton (both representing the Charleston & Savannah RR), B. R. Bostick, Jr., J. Vincent Martin, B. W. Lawton, B. L. Willingham, A. McB. Peeples, W. R. Barker, George P. Elliott, J. J. Brabham, F. F. Dunbar, J. H. Harley.
NP, CM 1-1A-61
NP, AC 1-11-61
NP, CM 3-11-61
NP, CM 3-15-61
NP, CM 4-5-61
NP, CM 5-1-61
NP, CM 5-20-61
NP, CM 5-20A-61
NP, CM 5-30-61
NP, CM 7-1E-61
NP, CM 1-1-62
NP, CM 1-3-62
NP, CM 1-25-62
NP, CM 2-25-61
NP, CM 6-5-62
NP, CM 6-10-62
NP, CM 7-7-62
NP, CM 9-4-62
NP, CM 9-9-62
AR, PR 7-1-63 P
AR, PR 7-1-63 CE
NA, ENG 11-30-63
NP, CC 12-23-63
NP, CM 2-15A-64
NP, SC 7-21-64
NP, CM 7-28-64
Augusta, Ga. to Branchville, S. C.
This 75-mile stretch of the South Carolina Railroad was proposed for double tracking in early 1864. This would have increased the capacity of the interior rail chain and would have been essential if Union forces broke the Charleston & Savannah RR.
NA, ENG 4-14A-64
NA, ENGR 4-29-64
NA, ENG 5-3-64
NA, ENGR 6-1-64
Shelby & Broad River RR
The road was chartered in both North and South Carolina by February, 1863, with plans to commence grading immediately to the Magnetic Iron Works, on the Broad River. The road was to connect the Spartanburg & Union RR to the Wilmington, Charlotte & Rutherford RR. The route to be taken is not known, but Spartanburg to Shelby would have been about 36 miles. The President for 1863 and 1864 was Bentley D. Hasell. Directors are named in the May, 1863 and May, 1864 articles.
NP, CW 3-5-61
NP, CM 11-19-62
NP, WD 2-24B-63
NP, YE 3-25A-63
NP, YE 4-29-63
NA, RR 5-13-63
NP, YE 5-13-63
NP, GP 5-14-63
NP, WD 5-19-63
NP, GP 5-21A-63
SCA, C&C 11-30-63
NP, CM 1-11-64
NP, CM 2-27-64
NP, SC 3-1-64
NP, CM 4-18-64
NP, CM 5-20A-64
Shelby & Broad River RR Stock
NP, SC 11-16-64
LVA, RRB 12-13-64
South Carolina Central RR
The April 1861 Annual Report of the Northeastern RR reports that this road had been chartered; the Northeastern pledged $145,000, on certain conditions. The road was to run from Charlotte, N. C. to a point on the Northeastern road (and then on to Charleston). The proposed route (145 miles long) was through Lancaster, Bishopville, Sumter and Manning, to Gourdin's station, 50 miles northeast of Charleston. It is unlikely any work was done.
NP, LL 1-2-61
NP, LL 2-27-61
NP, LL 2-27A-61
NP, LL 3-27-61
NP, LL 4-3-61
NP, LL 4-3A-61
NP, LL 4-3B-61
NP, LL 4-10-61
NP, LL 4-17-61
NP, CC 4-20-61
Barnwell RR This 10-mile long road would eventually connect Barnwell with the South Carolina RR at Blackville. W. H. Duncan was President in 1861 and Mr. Walker was in 1862 and over one hundred hands were employed in May of that year.
Florence  to Fayetteville, N. C. See the North Carolina entry for this road
Tennessee
Sequatchie Valley RR
This 13-mile feeder line of the Nashville & Chattanooga RR was chartered in 1860 and mostly graded in the summer of 1861. It is unknown if any iron was laid down, though grading was probably completed. Its route was from Bridgeport to Jasper.
AR, N&C 7-1-61 E
NP, ASCY 2-8-63
Texas
  Houston, Trinity & Tyler RR
This road was chartered in 1860 to build from a connection with the Galveston, Houston & Henderson Railroad, at Houston, to Tyler; by way of the Southern Pacific RR, it would have reached water transportation at Jefferson, on Caddo Lake. In November 1860 twenty miles of track was under contract and twelve miles of rail was said to be in Galveston. At least 2 miles had been graded by June of 1861 and a load of rails arrived in January of the same year. The company acquired a few freight cars; they and the rails were later sold to the Galveston & Houston Junction RR. The road would have been about 200 miles long. In 1860, the President was Capt. Joseph J. Hendley; Vice-President, Loranzp Sherwood; Directors, Gen. E. B. Nichols, James Sorley, A. B. Lufkin, John L. Darragh, Thad Mather, George Ball, Henry N. Jones, J. A. Thompson and Benjamin L. Goodman.
NP, GDC 1-4-61
NP, GDC 1-4A-61
NP, GN 1-12A-61
NP, GN 1-22-61
NP, GTN 2-5B-61
NP, HT 2-12B-61
NP, GTN 2-19-61
NP, HT 4-9A-61
NP, MRT 6-8-61
TX, GH&H 9-1-61
NA, HT&T 6-30-62
NA, HT&T 7-31-62
NA, HT&T 8-30-62
NA, HT&T 12-18-62
NA, HT&T 12-31-62
NA, HT&T 2-28-63
NA, HT&T 3-24-63
NA, HT&T 3-31-63
NA, HT&T 6-3-63
Indianola RR
This 16-mile long road was chartered in 1858 to build from Indianola to Clark Station on the San Antonio & Mexican Gulf RR. The road was graded and ties were on hand when the war started. Negotiations were being made for the purchase of the rails in July, 1860. No track appears to have been laid and the Road owned no rolling stock. The ties were burned in December 1862. In 1860, the President was Henry Runge, the Treasurer was A. ??chel and the Directors were Henry Runge, William H. Woodward, John E. Garey, H. J. Huck, John H. Dale and David C. Proctor. In 1861, the Treasurer was William T. Yancy and Acting Superintendent was Dudley Schultz.
TX, I 11-1-61
NP, MAP 9-26-61
NP, MAP 10-3-61
OR Series 1, Vol. 15, Page 909
Columbus, San Antonio & Rio Grande RR
This road was intended to connect with the Buffalo Bayou, Brazos and Colorado RR and head west, going through Gonzales and San Antonio to the Rio Grande River. It was chartered in 1858, and, with the slow-down caused by the war, was required to commence work by early 1863 and complete fifty miles every two years thereafter. It is highly unlikely that any work was done during the road. The start of the survey of route was announced in late 1860, so it is very unlikely that any work was done before the war started. Bentley D. Hasell, Chief Engineer and Superintendent of the New Orleans, Jackson & Great Northern RR was reported to be the Chief Engineer of the new road.
NP, GTN 2-19-61
Austin & Brenham Air Line RR
This road was chartered in 1860. It was to depart Brenham, building out from the Washington County RR, to Austin. It was required to commence work by July 1861 and complete twenty-five miles of the road by December 30, 1863, or forfeit their charter. Some grading was done, but it is very unlikely that any meaningful work was completed during the war. President was John R. Banks and H. H. Hayne, secretary.
Washington County Railroad Map
NP, SG 1-12A-61
NP, HT 2-12B-61
NP, GTN 2-19-61
NP, SG 2-23-61
NP, SG 3-16-61
NP, HT 5-14-61
Virginia
Keysville, Va. to Clarksville, Va.
The Roanoke Valley Railroad was so poor that it recognized that to survive, it needed to connect to the Richmond & Danville Railroad and become part of a through route. When war came, it saw itself as a vital, incomplete route around the dangerous area around Petersburg and Norfolk. General Lee was convinced of the value of the short (30-mile), easy extension that was already under construction (3 miles of track had been laid and much grading completed) and promoted it. Unfortunately for the Roanoke Valley RR, their roadbed and track were in such poor condition that their road would need to be rebuilt along with the extension. This extra work, and the minimal improvement in the supply situation that the new route would provide, caused the project to be dropped. It was unrealistically resurrected in the very last days of the war.
OR Series 1, Vol. 2, Page 830
OR Series 4, Vol. 1, Page 1022
OR Series 4, Vol. 1, Page 1025
OR Series 4, Vol. 1, Page 1085
NA, SWR 12-1-62
NA, ENGR 10-19-64
NP, RD 1-13-65
NA, QMR 1-30A-65
NP, RD 2-21-65
NP, RD 2-24-65
Jackson's River, Va. to Covington, Va.

(Virginia Central Railroad)

This 9-mile extension of the Virginia Central Railroad had been long planned, the route was graded, and the iron was on hand. That railroad, however, expected to have to use this rail to maintain its road, due to the heavy demands being made on it. The road wanted the Confederate Government to provide iron from the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad or some other source for this extension. The extension was to help bring in crops and to help supply the army operating to defend western Virginia (later West Virginia). Though the extension was deemed important, the rail was not provided. The idea was resurrected in late 1863. 
NA, QMR 9-27-61
NA, QMR 10-2-61
NA, QM 10-3A-61
BA, RR 12-14-61
NA, QMR 1-25C-62
NP, RD 2-10B-62
OR Series 4, Vol. 1, Page 944
OR Series 1, Vol. 29, Part 1, Page 946
NA, ENG 2-25B-64
Covington, Va. to White Sulphur Springs, Va. (West Va.)
This 21-mile section of the Covington & Ohio RR was under construction before the war. Its value to the Confederacy was in its ability to better support Confederate troops operating in Western Virginia. The road depended on the completion of the Virginia Central RR's section between Jackson's River and Covington, provision of iron rails by the Confederate Government, and Confederate troops to operate in Western Virginia. Since none of these conditions were met, construction was not continued. The road was not incorporated before the war and was being constructed by the Virginia Board of Public Works. Its Chief Engineer was Charles B. Fisk.
NP, RD 1-14-61
NP, RD 2-5-61
NP, AG 4-2A-61
NP, RD 5-4A-61
NP, RD 5-29-61
NP, RD 6-18E-61
AR, C&O 9-1-61 E
NP, RD 12-11-61
BA, RR 12-14-61
NA, G 12-17-61
NP, RD 2-4-62
NP, RD 2-6-62
NP, WJ 2-17-62
In Richmond, Va.
A Virginia law, enacted February 1, 1862, allowed the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac RR and the Richmond & Petersburg RR to construct their own connection within the city. This connection was later deemed to be useless because of the heavy grade.
NP, RD 6-25-61
LVA, RF&P 7-26-61
LVA, RF&P 8-7-61
AR, R&P 2-1-62
NA, ENG 6-24-64
The Richmond City Council also allowed the temporary connection of the Virginia Central and Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac RRs.
B5, RCC 5-26-62
B5, RCC 9-8-62
NP, RD 9-10-62
In Petersburg, Va.
A Virginia law, enacted February 1, 1862, allowed the Richmond & Petersburg RR and the Petersburg RR to construct their own connection within the city.
NP, RD 6-25-61
AR, R&P 2-1-62
Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac RR to the Orange & Alexandria RR and the Manassas Gap RR
This connection of about 45 miles was designed to provide another rail line from central to northern Virginia to support the army in that area. The connection was authorized by the Virginia General Assembly in mid-February of 1862. Before construction could begin, the army left the area to return to Richmond to confront the Union army advancing up the Peninsula.
BA, RR 12-14-61
LVA, RF&P 12-24-61
NP, RSTD 1-29B-62
LVA, RF&P 2-15-62
NP, RD 2-17-62
AR, RF&P 2-19-62
LVA, RF&P 3-7-62
Saltville, Va.
The demand for salt from the Saltville, Va. works prompted such expansion of the works and its operations that the Virginia & Tennessee RR tracks at the works were frequently jammed with trains. Also, the increased operations required that wood be brought several miles by wagon to keep the kettles going. A 4-mile extension of the track was constructed to ease both problems.
NA, ENG 5-7-63
NA, ENG 5-9-63
Richmond Coal Fields to the Richmond & York River RR
This 19-mile road had been under discussion by the railroad for several years. The road from the pits to Hungary Station on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac RR had been built by the owners of the pits and the intention for some time had been to continue the existing road over to the Richmond & York River RR. This appears to have been a formal step in creating that feeder road.
NP, RD 3-25-61

Strasburg to Winchester, Va.

This 18-mile extension of the Winchester & Potomac RR to support troops in the Winchester (Lower Shenandoah Valley) area was passed by the Virginia Legislature only days before Jackson had to fall back from Winchester to near Strasburg. Despite Jackson's victories in the area, the proposal was never again considered. To make the idea palatable to the Alexandria, Va. interests, the road would be under the control of the Manassas Gap RR, which it would meet at Strasburg. The iron would have been "donated" by the Baltimore & Ohio RR.
NP, WR 2-22-61
NP, AG 2-26-61
NP, AG 3-20-61
NP, WR 3-22-61
NP, AG 4-2-61
NP, AG 4-15-61
NP, WR 4-26-61
NP, AG 4-29-61
NP, AG 5-9-61
NP, RD 6-19B-61
NA, QMR 8-21-61
OR Series 1, Vol. 51, Part 2, Page 248
NA, W&P 8-29-61
NA, W&P 9-1-61
NA, QMR 9-10B-61
NP, NYT 9-27-61
NP, NR 10-11-61
NP, LN 12-19-61
NP, WR 1-3-62
NP, LN 1-14-62
NP, WR 1-31-62
NP, RD 2-10C-62
NP, WR 2-14-62
NP, RD 2-22-62
OR Series 1, Vol. 43, Part 2, Page 925
Virginia & Kentucky RR A newspaper report from late 1860 reports that work has been commenced at Bristol. Contracts have been let from that place to Estillville, Scott County, Va. It was anticipated that 3,000 hands would be at work on the road by early spring, 1861. It is unlikely an meaningful work was completed.
Danville to Virginia & Tennessee RR
This 80-mile road would have been the extension of the Danville to Company Shops road to enable the movement of Deep River coal from central North Carolina into eastern Tennessee and northern Georgia. There is no indication any work was done.
NP, FO 1-17A-61

Home