South & North Alabama
|The road was a wartime expedient
to connect the Red Mountain iron and coal fields to Selma, Alabama. The
planned to run from Montgomery to Nashville and was sometimes called the
Alabama Central Railroad. The South & North Alabama Railroad was
chartered in 1854. Work was under way by at
least September, 1859. Best evidence
at present, shows that it ran from the Cahaba River to the Alabama &
Tennessee River Railroad at Calera. Much grading was done on the fifteen
miles on to Elyton (the future Birmingham).
One of the railroad's locomotives was a small locomotive saved from a northwest Florida lumber mill when Pensacola was evacuated. This may have been from the Pensacola & Mobile Railroad.
As many as 6 or 7 locomotives were purchased or leased in 1864.
|Black's Number||Not on Black's maps (map)|
|Track||17 miles of 5 foot gauge of various types and weights|
|Locomotives||0; 2 named|