Shelby Iron Company
|The road was a wartime expedient
to connect the Shelby Iron Company to the Alabama & Tennessee River
RR at Columbiana, Al. The local Confederate Ordinance official prevented the construction
for over two years by threatening to have senior Company employees
conscripted if they constructed the road. Construction began in 1863 and
was completed in January, 1865. The company may have made its own rails.
The railroad's only locomotive was purchased in 1864 from the Alabama & Mississippi Rivers RR. The road had no cars and had to unload and reload each car received within 24 hours.
|Black's Number||Not on Black's maps (map)|
|Track||6 miles of 5 foot gauge of unknown type and weight, but probably strap rail of 40# weight|
|Locomotives||0; 1 named|