The road connected the mines, in far northwestern Georgia, to the Nashville & Chattanooga Railroad at Shellmound, Tennessee. The road was incorporated in 1856 as the Nicojack Railroad & Mining Co. The company had an initial stock value of $100,000, with an increase of $200,000 more allowed by the Georgia Legislature. The road was probably in operation by November , 1856. The mines, on Raccoon Mountain, were the property of the father of Confederate General Gordon, Zachariah Gordon. The mines were later (during and after the War) known as the Castle Rock Coal Company and remained in operation until at least the mid-1870's.
Black's Number not listed (map) (map)
Track 8 miles of 5 foot gauge, weight and type unknown (possibly U-rail)
Locomotives Unknown
Cars Unknown
Stations 2